Most homeowners who prefer hardwood flooring choose a vinyl flooring that looks like a hardwood floor, but costs less. Luxury vinyl flooring is similar to hardwood flooring but has several differences.
However, before opting for vinyl flooring, you need to know its advantages and disadvantages to ensure you make an informed decision.
Disadvantages of vinyl floors
Vinyl floors may be affordable and give your home the feel of a hardwood floor, but they may cost you more over time.
The disadvantages of vinyl flooring include the following.
- Vinyl floors cannot be repaired.
- They are difficult to recycle and not eco-friendly
- They have a shorter life span than hardwood floors
- Vinyl floors emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are harmful to your health
- Vinyl floors are hard to remove, especially when installed with adhesive
- They add no resale value to a home
An alternative to vinyl flooring
If you need inexpensive flooring options, requiring little or no maintenance, something that is durable, easy to install and a good alternative to vinyl flooring, you can consider pre-finished engineered hardwood flooring.
Pre-finished engineered hardwood flooring offers the stability and durability favoured by homeowners. It has a 1 – 4 mm thick layer of wood in a thick inner core made with pine, birch or plywood, which contributes to the stability of engineered hardwood.
Unlike vinyl flooring, pre-finished engineered hardwood flooring can be somewhat expensive but has the following benefits.
- It does not give off dust or a strong odour during the sanding process
- Improves the resale value of a house
- It doesn’t need curing or drying time
- Eco-friendly options are available
- Requires less installation time because it comes finished or sanded
Pre-finished, engineered hardwood offers several advantages over vinyl wood and is less expensive than hardwood flooring options.
If you need a durable and functional flooring option in your home, contact our carpet suppliers London today on 020 7740 1402. You can also call M&M Carpet Contractors Ltd for your preferred flooring installation.